Many of our patients are coming in with tremendous amounts of poison ivy rashes. They are working in their gardens and doing various things around their home and coming in with spreading poison ivy. Poison ivy comes because people are exposed to the leaves and stems of the poison ivy plant, poison sumac plant, or poison oak. Wear heavy rubber gloves when doing any kind of work outside. Be aware that dogs and cats can bring the oils into your home and the oils can be transmitted onto your own skin, causing the rash. If you think your pets may have been exposed to poison ivy you should bathe and shampoo them, wear gloves to prevent any spreading.